Fighting Power Plants in North Brooklyn
When TransGas Energy Systems (TGE) proposed construction of a 1,100-megawatt power plant on the Bushwick Creek Inlet on the East River, it galvanized the community. The Greenpoint/Williamsburg Waterfront Task Force, a coalition including over 60 community organizations, religious institutions and Brooklyn Community Board #1, was formed to stop the plant. To assist the effort, the Columbia University Environmental Law Clinic joined forces with GWAPP, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Community Board #1 and the Task Force to represent the community.
TGE, a limited liability corporation that was controlled by energy speculator Adam Victor, proposed to permit, construct and operate a 1,100-megawatt combined cycle power plant on the Greenpoint/Williamsburg East River waterfront where North 12th Street ends at Bushwick Creek Inlet. The plant would have included 300-foot smokestacks spewing more than 1,000 tons per year of toxic emissions into the local environment, increasing the area’s already high asthma rates and ruining city and state plans for parks and residential and commercial development on the waterfront.
The TGE power plant was eventually defeated, but it was only one of a long line of power plants and power generating facilities that were planned for the waterfront. Some, like the Con Edison power plant and the NISA power barge, were defeated, while others were not.
- GWAPP: Fact Sheet (English) – PDF (139KB). Undated
- GWAPP: Fact Sheet (Polish) – PDF (295KB). Undated
- GWAPP: Fact Sheet (Spanish) – PDF (78KB). Undated
- GWAPP: Stop the Power Plant! Fact Sheet – PDF (33KB). Undated
Why New York State needs a comprehensive energy plan. What are the emissions and health effects. What you can do, and the Task Force’s top reasons to stop the plant.
- GWAPP: Preliminary Report on the TGE (Clean Point Energy) Project – PDF (2.8MB). June 2001
- GWAPP & BCB1: Task Force Comments on Preliminary Scoping Statement – PDF (102KB). October 24, 2001
- GWAPP: Task Force Letter to DEC re Greenpoint/Northside Process Forum – PDF (8KB). December 18, 2001
- GWAPP: Task Force Letter to PSC re Greenpoint/Northside Process Forum – PDF (8KB). December 19, 2001
- GWAPP: Task Force Letter to PSC re Greenpoint/Northside Process Forum – PDF (12KB). February 22, 2002
- GWAPP: Task Force Comments to TGE Proposed Mar. 22, 2002 Stipulations – PDF (25KB). April 9, 2002
- TRC Environmental Corporation: TGE Letter re Environtmental Justice Analysis – PDF (74KB). April 16, 2002
- GWAPP: Task Force Letter to TGE Forwarding Comments to Stipulations – PDF (12KB). April 17, 2002
- GWAPP: Task Force Comments to TGE Proposed Stipulations – PDF (37KB). April 17, 2002
- TransGas Energy Systems: TGE’s Proposed Stipulations (Draft) – PDF (164KB). April 26, 2002