ULURP Watch: Greenpoint Landing and 77 Commercial head to City Council on Thursdayby on
There’s been a lot of recent focus on the Domino development and ULURP requests, that we’ve almost forgotten about the summer’s most controversial topic: Greenpoint Landing and 77 Commercial Street! Just kidding, how could we ever really forget about these looming developments. Next up on this ULURP? Both issues are headed to City Council this week.
If you want to attend the meeting:
Thursday, December 5
250 Broadway, New York, 16th Floor
Update 12/4: location change, meetings now at City Hall.
Subcommittee on Zoning and Franchises (will discuss 77 Commercial)
Begins at 9:30am
Subcommittee on Planning, Dispositions, & Concessions (will discuss Greenpoint Landing)
Begins at 1pm
If you want to give testimony at the meeting:
If you plan on testifying, an RSVP to Councilman Steve Levin at email@example.com would be appreciated, so they have a sense of how many people will be testifying. Oral testimony should be kept to 2-3 minutes, but longer written testimonies can be submitted for the record to the address above or Matt Ojala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ULURP? City Council? What is happening?!
Basically, if you refer to the helpful ULURP graphic below, you’ll see that at this time, City Council can take the following actions:
- Can review application, hold a public hearing, and vote to approve, approve with modiﬁcations, or disapprove.
- Refers any proposed modiﬁcations to CPC for an additional 15-day review.
- If Council does not act (or does not assume jurisdiction on items it must elect to review), CPC decision is final.
The City Planning Commission (CPC) voted unanimously to approve Greenpoint Landing and 77 Commercial in November 2013. (source)
“We thank the City Planning Commission for their decision to approve this application, which brings us one step closer to delivering multiple benefits to the Greenpoint community,” a Greenpoint Landing spokesperson said in a statement.
It is not clear what, if any, concessions Mr. Levin’s office will seek, but the community has been vocal about a number of concerns that could become fodder for any bargaining. (source)
On both projects, Brooklyn Borough President recommended to Approve with Modifications, and Community Board 1 recommended to Disapprove with Modifications. Both recommendations are only advisory, while the CPC, City Council and/or Mayoral review actually decides the fate of the application.
We’ve been covering the Greenpoint Landing & 77 Commercial St. ULURP saga for months on the GWAPP blog. You can view the whole thread of stories by accessing the Greenpoint Landing tag or view some of the highlights below:
- September: Borough President’s Greenpoint Landing & 77 Commercial Public Hearing: Videos & Recap
- September: Unzoning the Rezoning
- August: Missed the Greenpoint Landing Community Meeting? Then Watch This
- July: ULURP Watch: Greenpoint Landing Development is Certified
- July: Community Workshop Follow-up: Let’s Discuss Greenpoint Waterfront Developments
- June: Community Workshop Intro.: Need to Know Terms, People and Agencies
- May: CRASH LANDING: Greenpoint Landing Project Presented at CB1 Joint Committee Meeting