Greenpoint Gets Greener: Box St. Brownfield Site Cleaned Upby on
According to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, cleanup action has been completed at 16 Box Street and 1133 Manhattan Avenue in north Greenpoint. The contamination was related to the Former BRT Railroad Car Barn site. (Click the BRT link, it’s a good read on the history and specific hazards.)
“The cleanup activities were performed by 1133 Manhattan Avenue LLC (“Volunteer”) with oversight provided by the NYSDEC. The Volunteer has submitted a draft Final Engineering Report (FER) for NYSDEC review which states that cleanup requirements have been or will be achieved to fully protect public health and the environment for the proposed site use.” Those clean-up activities include but are not limited to:
- Removal of an existing 2,000 gallon underground fuel oil tank system and petroleum impacted soil from the northwest corner of the property,
- Removal of petroleum contaminated groundwater from the Underground Storage Tank (UST) area and treatment of residuals with an application of chemical oxidants,
- Screening for indications of contamination (by visual means, odor, and monitoring with Photo Ionization Device or Detection) of all excavated soil during any intrusive Site work, and
- Collection and analysis of end-point samples to evaluate the performance of the remedy with respect to attainment of Track 1 Soil Cleanup Objectives (SCOs).
Once the FER is approved, the Volunteer will receive a Certificate of Completion (COC) and will be able to redevelop the site. In addition, the Volunteer:
- Would have no liability to the State for contamination at or coming from the site, subject to certain conditions; and
- Would be eligible for tax credits to offset the costs of performing cleanup activities and for redevelopment of the site.
The original application was filed with the DEC by the Volunteer in 2011. (source)
Where to Find More Information
Project documents are available at: Brooklyn Public Library, Greenpoint Branch, 107 Norman Avenue and at the NYSDEC, Region 2 Office, 47-40 21st Street in Long Island City. Documents are also available in Spanish and Polish.
For project related questions contact:
Hasan Ahmed, NYSDEC, Region 2 Office
(718) 482-6405, firstname.lastname@example.org
For public health questions contact:
Bridget Callaghan, NYSDOH, Empire State Plaza
(518) 402-7860, email@example.com
For additional information visit the New York’s Brownfield Cleanup Program site.