Another $1,000,000 is Coming to District 33by on
It’s hard to believe but Participatory Budgeting (PB) is gearing back up for another round! Participatory Budgeting is “where district residents participate directly in the city budgeting process, deciding how to spend $1,000,000 in city funds. These funds can go towards capital projects in our parks, our schools—or wherever else the residents of our district decide,” or so explains an e-mail from Councilman Steve Levin.
Here’s a list of the upcoming PB meetings aka “Neighborhood Assemblies.” The meetings in North Brooklyn are in red. These Neighborhood Assemblies are an opportunity for residents to actively shape the conversation via brain-storming sessions. These conversations will act as the foundation for project proposals that the district will vote on in April.
- Oct. 3rd, Thursday 6-8PM
Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon St.
- Oct. 10th, Thursday 6-8PM
Taylor-Wythe El Puente Community Center, 80 Clymer St.
- Oct. 13th, Sunday 4-6PM
Myrtle Village Green Community Garden, 913 Kent Ave.
(Enter on Myrtle Ave. btwn Kent and Franklin)
- Oct. 16th, Wednesday 6-8PM
Polish-Slavic Center, 176 Java St.
- Oct. 22nd, Tuesday 6-8PM St.
Francis College Callahan Center, 180 Remsen St.
- Oct. 24th, Thursday 6-8PM
McCarren Play Center, 776 Lorimer St.
- Oct. 26th, Saturday 4-6PM
Wyckoff Community Center, 280 Wyckoff St.
Each meeting will be about two hours. If you want to get involved and have a leadership role in this year’s PB, sign-up as a volunteer.
If you don’t know too much about the PB process, click here to read all of GWAPP’s previous posts on the topic. Last year’s winning projects were:
- Dog Park for East River State Park ($450,000)
- District-wide Tree Planting ($100,000)
- Technology Funding for PS 8 in Park Slope ($200,400)
- Technology Funding for PS 31 in Greenpoint ($188,000), and
- Playground Restoration and Beautification for PS 34 in Greenpoint ($120,000)
Clearly, North Brooklyn benefitted greatly from the PB process, so lets get involved again this year and make change happen!