How to Volunteer Post Sandyby on
- For Parks Clean-up. Register with NYC Parks & Recreation to be notified of upcoming opportunities.
- For General Volunteering. Register with NYC Public Advocate or email NYC Service at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, e-mail address and borough.
- For NYC Food Banks. Register to become a volunteer with Food Bank for NYC.
- For American Red Cross Relief. Register with The Greater NY Region Red Cross.
- District Dog Parade and Costume Contest: Assemblyman Joe Lentol and District Dog will be partnering for a hurricane relief event on Sunday, November 11th, to collect goods for Brooklyn residents and animal rescue organizations that have suffered as a result of Hurricane Sandy. This event will also double as a Dog Masquerade Party, in light of the cancellation of the District’s Dog Halloween Parade. At McGolrick Park at 1pm.
- Soup Bowls For Greenpoint Kitchen on Sunday, November 18th, at Eat Greenpoint (124 Meserole Avenue) from 4pm – 6pm. Guests can choose a handmade bowl* donated from a local potter and enjoy a delicious bowl of soup from The Splendid Spoon along with a beer from Brooklyn Brewery – all for $25. 100% of donations benefit Greenpoint Soup Kitchen & Food Pantry. Please reserve your soup bowl today, by paying via Paypal to email@example.com. Find the PayPal link and more information on the fundraiser’s Facebook page.
- Blood via the American Red Cross or the NY Blood Center.
- A Foster Home for a homeless animal. As a result of the storm the disruption of communication networks and foster care organizations, thousands of animals that would otherwise be adopted are scheduled to be euthanized. Submit an application with Dog Habitat Rescue to provide adopt an animal or provide temporary shelter in this time of need.
- Canned Goods to NAG’s “North Brooklyn Loves Chinatown + The LES.” Sponsored by Neighbors Allied for Good Growth and Hester Street Recovery. Accepting non-perishable food, water, AA batteries and flashlights to help Chinatown and LES’s most vulnerable residents. To arrange drop-off or pick-up email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Funds to the American Red Cross by calling 1-800-Red-Cross or text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- WNYC: How to Help Hurricane Sand Recovery
- Timeout: How to Help Out in New York City After Sandy
- Red Cross: How You Can Help: Hurricane Sandy
- NYC.gov: Map of Hurricane Zone A Shelters
Know about a way to help that’s not listed here? Contact us and we’ll make sure to share it!